Every drum lesson I teach is tailored around the individual student’s musical taste, needs, ability and personal targets. This way the student is motivated and focused throughout the lesson, and always working towards a goal. I cater for all ages, genders and abilities, from absolute beginners to advanced drummers wanting to improve their technique.
My experience enables me to break drum teaching into 4 key areas:
- Sight Reading / Aural Perception – From basic notation and note values to advanced chart reading, transcription, studying genres of music, time signatures, drum grooves, rudiments, pieces and performance, & Trinity Guildhall Grades 1-8.
- Technical Development – To strive and work towards a perfect technique, the study of a wide range of techniques for the hands and feet, sticking, posture, breathing and all aspects of drumming technique.
- Drum Grooves & Fills – Study of specific grooves, feels & drum fills relating to individual genres, these include; Rock, Pop, Funk, Metal, Country, Afro-Cuban, Drum & Bass plus many more. Also study these genres to get inside the music and help to form an understanding of how to write musical drum parts, as well as understand how the music works.
- Session Drummers & Live Performance – Studying a vast selection of drummers and genres. Learning key performance techniques and songs to be performed live and along to tracks.
- Drum Tuning – How to make you sound great behind a kit, as you can learn all the greatest techniques, but if your drum kit doesn’t sound good this will have less impact. Also cover drum-kit care how to look after your gear and the internal workings of your drums, and getting drums to sound great in the studio.
- Music Industry – Learn the basics of how the industry works and how to get the best out of your career as a musician and own musical project.
My lessons are taught from my own written syllabus with aspects of other workbooks, exercises and patterns to improve your drumming skill and achieve great technique and a musical brain.
I have my own drum studio based in Portslade, Brighton & Hove where I teach drum lessons from, I also provide mobile drum lessons in the Sussex area where I travel to the student and teach on their own kit. I also offer interactive Skype drum lessons for students based further a field.
Thom Mills Drums – Portslade, Brighton & Hove, Drum Lessons:
- CRB checked.
- Musicians Union Member.
- Public Liability Insured.
Rates – £30 per hour / £15 per half hour.
Consultation / introductory lessons available.
To enquire about drum lessons in Brighton & Hove and across Sussex please feel free to contact me here:
Mobile: 07812 750205
- Progressive Steps To Syncopation For The Modern Drummer – Ted Reed
- Stick Control For The Snare Drummer – George Lawrence Stone
- Master Studies – Joe Morello
- 4-Way Coordination – Marvin Dahlgren & Elliot Fine
- Advanced Techniques For The Modern Drummer, Vol 1 – Jim Chapin
- Conversations In Clave – Horacio “El Negro” Hernandez.
- The Drumset Musician – Rod Morgenstein & Rick Mattingly
- Advanced Funk Studies – Rick Latham
- Play Rock Drums – Joel Rothman
- Jungle/Drum ‘n’ Bass For The Acoustic Drum Set – Johnny Rabb
- Afro-Cuban Grooves For Bass And Drums, Funkifying The Clave – Lincoln Goines & Robby Ameen
- Trinity Guildhall, Drum Kit, Pieces & Studies, Grades 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6, 7 & 8.